Our School App Stay connected on the go...
Learning a foreign language is an essential life skill. As well as making travel more enjoyable and easier, it will enable students to experience another culture and make new friends. Knowledge of a language increases chances of employment as well as earning potential and opens our mind to new ideas. It is an enriching experience.
At Key Stage 3, we aim to make language-learning fun, relevant and accessible to all through games and communicative activities. Students will feel confident about using every day French both at home and abroad by the end of Year 9 and will feel proud of their achievements. At Key Stage 4 our key aim is to further develop the linguistic skills of comprehension and expression, both written and spoken and to further extend students’ knowledge of the countries where the language is spoken, their way of life, culture and general civilisation. At A-level the skills acquired at Key Stage 4 are carefully honed and developed, to produce fluent speakers of the foreign language with a keen interest and understanding of their culture.
Key Stage 3
|Year 7||Year 8||Year 9|
Key Stage 3 assessment
- At the end of each unit, the students are formally assessed in 2 or more skills (listening, reading, writing, translation, speaking)
Key Stage 4
AQA French GCSE (8658)
|Year 10||Year 11|
Key Stage 5
AQA French A Level (7652)
|Year 12||Year 13|
Key Stage 5 assessment
- In Year 12, the students are assessed using the class tests in February and the UCAS prediction exams in June in all skills (speaking is only assessed in June)
- In Year 13, the students are assessed during the mock exams in January in all skills (speaking takes place later in March)
- Furthermore, the students are regularly assessed in class in vocabulary and grammar.
- Essays are regularly set
Curriculum enrichment outside of the classroom
- Lunchtime support sessions
- Film club
- Letters to Pere Noel
- Celebration of European Day for languages
- Language study trips to France
- Use of languages assistants
- Day trips to the BFI and Goethe Institute…
- Language plays in school
- Opportunity for students to purchase language magazines
A level Modern Foreign Languages: Please see the Sixth Form section of our website: sixth-form-subject-information